CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, May 1, 2009

Discipline Discouragement!

So I forgot to download the pictures before I typed my post therefore all of the pictures are at the top of the post. I will explain them briefly and then you can read in full detail at the end of the post. The pictures are in no particular order.

The first five pictures are of the kids on there big Easter Egg Hunt in the back yard.




The next five pictures are of Skip and the kid's making Easter Buns and eating them!






And the next five are of Skyla and I at our High Tea!




So I fully intended to post regularly. At least once a week but it always seems like something gets in the way. The last few weeks we have had some sickies in the house. Skyla had Strep Throat again. Duncan had Croup. I had a very bad Sinus Infection that lasted two weeks. I didn't know it was an infection till it got so bad that I couldn't breath at all through my nose and I had a splitting headache. So I went to the walk-in clinic and the doctor prescribed 3 medications. One was an antibiotic, another was allergy pills, and another was nasonex spray. After a couple of days taking all three I was almost back to normal. Thank God! I cannot remember being that stuffed up in a long long time.

My main dilemma these days is discipline of the children. I don't know the best way to discipline. Skyla does not take me seriously and I am so frustrated. I lose my temper and yell at my kids more often than I care to admit because I do not know how else to handle it. I do not want to spank because I believe there are much better ways to discipline children that do not involve making the child fear you. I want my children to behave not because they are afraid of a spanking but because they know it is the right thing to do. But what is the best way? What works and what doesn't? I took a discipline book out at the library and so far it seems very good. I have only read a few chapters so it is to soon to see but I have tried one technique when it comes to sharing toys that really worked well with the kids. So this is what I am struggling with these days.

On a better note, we have done some really fun stuff in the month of April. I went out and got my hair coloured and cut for the first time in a very long time. I didn't do anything to wild and crazy but it felt good just to have a fresh cut and cover up the greys. Skyla starting going to the potty again all on her own and stayed dry and clean for 18 days in a row, so as promised I took her out to Hotel Saskatchewan for High Tea. She loved it! And she was so prim and proper! She dressed up in a "fancy dress"! She sat on a "big girl chair without a booster seat"! She ordered "lemon-strawberry tea" and she sipped it very daintily while every now and then taking a bite of her scone with strawberry butter and cream! I was so proud of my big girl! She even wore a bit of make-up!

I also haven't posted any Easter pictures yet. We had a great Easter with just our little family. The kids had an Easter egg hunt out in the back yard and they had a blast doing it. It was so fun to watch them get so excited every time they spotted an egg. For supper we had our traditional ham. On the Saturday Skip and the kids made the Easter buns that we always make. It was a fun time.
That is all I have for you right now but I have a lot of thoughts in my head about church and how I struggle with it so as soon as I get that together I will make another post.

1 comments:

BeachMama said...

Cute pictures.

I love that you went out for High Tea as a reward, I could use a reward like that, often.

As for discipline, I don't think there is any one answer. What might work for one child doesn't work for another. But, I do agree with you on the not instilling fear part. I want my children to be good because they are good, not because they are terrified of acting out.

If I do find the end all be all of discipline, I will be sure to pass it along.